Sunday, October 17, 2010

Sad News




As often happens in life, joy and sorrow can follow each other closely. We have experienced a great sadness today. My brother, William, has passed away. He was my baby brother and joined our family when I was only 3 years old, so I have the privilege of saying that I was his very first friend in this world. Even though he sometimes filled the stereotypical role of the little sibling tormentor, I did my best to give him unconditional love through a life that turned out to be all too short for a well-respected and much-loved man.

His was a life filled with achievement. He reveled in knowledge, earned multiple degrees, and passed on to others everything he learned. He loved his work and excelled at it. To him, I think teaching was not only a profession but also a mission. And in his passing he has taught again -- about the value of each human life and what really matters.

We'll look back on the yesterdays that we shared with him and remember the unique, intangible ways that he touched our lives. Ways that cannot be defined by words. We are thankful for all the special moments he has left us; because it is through those that my brother will continue to live on, within our hearts and our minds.

No comments: