Friday, January 01, 2010

What a Writer Reads



The Diving Bell and the Butterfly: A Memoir of Life in Death
by Jean-Dominique Bauby
Adult Non-Fiction
Listed at $9.36 paperback on Amazon.com
144 pages
A quick read


I finished the book yesterday (received as a wonderful Christmas gift). It is, without doubt, a work of immense importance! To be sure, I shed tears throughout the reading, but they were minimal payment for admission to the mind and heart of such a brave man, a great thinker whose spirit enriches every reader in profound ways. At the age of forty-three Mr. Bauby suffered a stroke that left him with "Locked in Syndrome." He dictated this book by blinking his left eyelid, his only means of communication. As I see it, it was his cosmic and unfortunate destiny to be charged with a sacred duty, to be chosen to endure the unimaginable in order to teach the many. He rose to the challenge with courage and an understanding of his purpose. And once that purpose was fulfilled, when he had passed on the knowledge that only he could uniquely convey, two days later he quietly slipped the bonds of this world, leaving us with that legacy. I can only hope that all who are touched by his experiences can fully realize the depth of the gift he has left behind.

For devotees of language art, I will say that the work is filled with beautifully poetic similes and metaphors. As a registered nurse, I will stress that I believe it to be a "must read" for anyone, working in any capacity, in the medical field and also for those with hospitalized loved ones who require long-term care.

That's my five cents worth.
I give the book a well-deserved "5 nickels rating."

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like an inspiring read! Can I borrow your copy?

Unknown said...

Finished the book in three short sittings. What an inspirational man! So courageous in the face of such personal tragedy! Many lessons to be learned through his wisdom and example. Thanks for letting me borrow.