Tuesday, January 05, 2010

The Value of a Life

(Thanks to Card, a rescued Greyhound, and his companion, Logan)

Yesterday I read an article on AOL news that was about coping with debt during this difficult economy. Perhaps some of you read it as well. Of course, the piece tackled the issue of credit cards as a “trap.” As you may know, on AOL, readers are invited to leave comments following articles. It is one of those comments that I would like to talk about here. It left me angry. The anger eased but I was profoundly disturbed by it over the next 24 hours, it haunts me still, as I believe it should. This is how it went (their words not mine) –
Comment by person A
". . . in real life it is very hard NOT to have some credit card debt at some point. . . my dog got sick in late November and had to have an operation $4,000., then that same week, my wife broke a tooth and needed a crown, another $1,000. . . . credit card debt of almost $5,000. within days.”
Reply Comment by person B
". . . there are still choices you can make. $4K for a vet for the dog???? Wow. Consider this option. .22 cal bullet to back of dog’s head = $.75 + new puppy $200. + wife’s tooth $1,000. Total much better than $5K. That is REALLY how you make sound decisions to stay out of debt!!!!”

I found the reply comment so abhorrent that I actually had trouble typing it here. Why did my anger ease? Because, intellectually, I know that person B is handicapped by ignorance and immaturity. His/her personality, education, and mental age aside, -- I realize that the world is full of “person B’s” and that is what haunts me. For people like this, life is only black and white; there is no grey scale. Their decisions are guided solely by the question, "Does it benefit me or not?" They will always take what they perceive to be the easier road. There were no alternatives proposed, no mention of a compromise for the situation -- the possibility of a vet-sponsored payment plan or the existence of an organization offering funds for health care of pets whose owners need financial assistance.

To all the “person B’s” out there, consider the following:
-- The value of any living creature exceeds that which can be measured. There is no price tag on joy, loyalty, or love.
-- Isn’t it our duty as higher beings to consistently attempt to reach beyond human constraints, stretching to find solutions, fervently employing our compassion and spirituality?
-- What goes around comes around. Karma is a potent force in the universe. You had better hope that you never suffer from a costly medical illness; there may be those who think you’re only worth $.75

1 comment:

Jennifer K said...

AMEN!